Monday, September 2, 2019

Celebrating what I want, when I want

"Happiness requires that we celebrate the positive sides of life. Peace requires that we accept both the positive and the negative outcomes of life and move on." -Terry Mark

Oh, how the summer has passed us by. This summer was rough; tasks to complete, deadlines to meet, summer camps to explore, and so much more. Here it is, the beginning of September, that's something to celebrate.

I wanted a trip that was out of the ordinary. I've been in Asia for almost three years, and I was looking forward to something new. I wanted beaches and sun, with some new adventures that would make long-lasting memories. My birthday passed (thanks for the birthday wishes), classes were over, summer camps were done, and it was time for me to have some fun. I was celebrating everything in Greece.

If you know me, you know I didn't visit ONLY Greece. I had a stopover in Qatar, twice, and had some adventures there as well. Qatar Airways has this deal that if you have a layover 10 hours or more in the country, you can get a stay at a 5-Star hotel for about $30/ night. Discover Qatar, offers many excursions around the city for reasonable prices. With my first layover, I did the 2-hour city tour of Doha. The country is definitely rich and man-made. They currently have a lot of construction taking place, as they will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup. I traveled to the Dhow Harbour to see the city skyline, the Katara Cultural Village, the Pearl, and Souq Waqif.


 




Alas, Αθήνα, Ελλάδα. I love chasing sunrises. You catch them all over the country. They are beautiful, rising over the mountains. Anyways, let me get to the itinerary as that it's what you came to read about.....



The Acropolis in Athens is a must-see. Didn't stay in the city since the airport needed to be close. Most of the trip was spent on the island of Kriti (Crete), but there was a ferry ride that happened to go from Crete to Santorini 😏. While on Crete, most of the adventures took place in Rethymno (Ρεθύμνου). I got to see the (outside of the) Fortress, the city itself, some famous beaches, and be a foodie. If you know me, you know I'm trying to grow out of being a picky eater. Greece has me craving REAL, authentic Greek salads, and chicken gyros. I tried some lamb as well. Oh, the fresh fruits (grapes and watermelon) were delicious. At this one restaurant, I received "homemade" red wine. All I know is after drinking that, sleep hit me quick. Their wine is on the menu, and I saw others drinking it; my drink was spiked, I'm just a lightweight. I got some to go😬.


 


 


In Santorini, it's a must to rent an ATV or buggy to get around the island. It's worth it. You will be able to get around and see the island. The iconic spot Oia Village (Οία) is beautiful for pictures. You definitely can find plenty of souvenirs there. The black sand beach, Perissia, is a nice place to soak up some sun.





I made an interesting visit to the famous naturist beach, Amoundi. People really do "be mindin they own business." Nobody is checking for no one. You have to have an open mind and not be insecure about yourself.
 


Overall, my trip to Greece was amazing. It was everything I needed, hoped for, and only imagined. I needed that get away from the hustle and bustle. I will say it was liberating to culturally "blend in." Oh, before I close out... I had to switch back conservative on my way to Qatar as I had another excursion planned. I had about 22 hours in the country. I spent 8 of those hours sleeping (definitely recommend purchasing lounge access), 4 hours on the computer, another 4 hours on my excursion (became a private tour as I was the only to sign up) and the remaining hours getting ready for my flight. This leg of my trip caused an awful jet-lagged experience for about two weeks because I couldn't get right.









Well, that's all for now. Until my next adventure!


Bw.travels6 ✈

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bri,
    Thanks so much for sending me the Blog! It's so good to here from you. I know you had a wonderful time in Greece. It makes me want to go there.

    ReplyDelete