Monday, April 1, 2019

2 Countries, 1 Trip....... 10 Everlasting Days of Vietnam and Cambodia

“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
 

My God is wonderful. I've been in a major need for a vacation and pure relaxation. My last vacation back in August was somewhat stressful, and before the school year ended, I'd been overworking myself in some areas. So... I needed to be stress free for some days. I prayed and prayed and prayed during the planning days, days leading up and during the duration of my vacation. As I boarded my final plane home, I could proudly say that I had a stress free, joyous and fun-filled vacation that I'm forever thankful for. I made all my flights on time (almost missed one due to a delay; not my fault) with time to spare. 🙌

It had been winter in Korea. I was desperately needing heat and sun, with some culture immersion and not that long of a flight from Korea (I'm so over flights now...they tired me out.) With that, I went to a warm location, with a "short" flight away.

Vietnam and Cambodia. Two different countries, different cultures, different people, different history and different ways of living. I went from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap to Ha Noi. Why did I choose the route I did..... I wanted to do the busiest/tiring cities first, then relax on the final leg.

[Want to know my travel tips? Click here.]

My first four days were spent in Ho Chi Minh City. I'll start here...

I had my itinerary all laid out before arriving and planned to start sight-seeing after checking into my hotel. *adds two hour nap after arrival😴* During my visit, the country was also celebrating Lunar New Year. Parts of the city were quiet and empty (which I liked) and other parts were full of celebrations. I did my little trek around the city so that I could familiarize myself with what's around.

One of the main attractions I wanted to see/experience was the Cu Chi Tunnels. After looking at the excursion options my hotel offered, I decided to be lazy and take on the full-day tour around Ho Chi Minh City. IT. WAS. WORTH. IT. I got to see multiple museums without a lot of tourist and spent a good amount of time at each location. After going, I highly recommend visiting the War Remnants Museum. Seeing the Vietnamese side of the Vietnam War was EYE OPENING. Besides that museum, I visited the Reunification Palace, the Saigon Post Office, a pagoda and the Notre Dame Cathedral of Saigon.
 





The Cu Chi Tunnels were the interactive part of the "history lesson."  I learned more about how some soldiers had to use the tunnels during the war, as well as, being able to crawl through the tunnels that were created for safety. Let me tell you, I'm a small person, but getting through those tunnels was a struggle; especially with my backpack.





The next "full" day I had, I walked around the city. I checked the Saigon Skydeck off my list, then stumbled upon a fair (I think?) I really don't know what it was, but there were a lot of people, food trucks/stations, game tents and other things you may find at a "fair." It was interesting. Before my flight to Cambodia, I went to the market to get some deals on souvenirs. I think I'm becoming one of those bargainers.🤦🏽‍♀️









*Fun Fact: Saigon is the old name of the city until it was changed to Ho Chi Minh City in honor of Ho Chi Minh*

Cambodia is an extremely chill country, well the city Siem Reap is. After I got out the airport, I had a "tuk-tuk" waiting for me. For about 8-10 km., my hair was blowing in the wind. During my time there, I didn't plan on spending a lot of money, other than the excursions I had planned to partake in. Let me just say, I was quite surprised at the sourvenirs and local goods they were selling. I brought hand-made soaps, dresses, souvenirs and paintings. I had to leave my card and majority of my cash at my accommodation, because my spending habits was starting to get out of control. Anyways, I went to a local pottery school, where deaf teachers teach people how to make pottery. It was an experience in itself. If forces you to pay close attention to the hands and detail.  I will admit I was needed extra help.

The main attraction...ANGKOR WAT! It was amazing! I felt like I was in the jungles of a lost world, some Laura Croft stuff. Lolz. I didn't do the sunrise option (I'm completely fine not experiencing that), but I did got later that morning is spent quite some time seeing and passing through the temples. I. was. exhausted. I was templed out. My tuk-tuk driver wanted to show me more, and I was like "NO! TAKE ME HOME!"😭 I passed out once I got into my room, dirty and all.








I honestly was ready to get back to Korea, but Ha Noi was next the next stop. Out of my 4 days there, I only spent two full days doing stuff. The first day, I spent all day walking around the city, checking off the "sites to see." I also go to see the famous "Train Street" where you're inches away from a train passing by through houses. It's definitely worth the experience. [For more details check my tips link.]










The final place I wanted to check off my list was a visit to Ha Long Bay. I did a full-day excursion there, and it was extremely relaxing and peaceful.


 




This trip was one to remember. Extremely thankful for the experience abroad.

Until the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment