Monday, July 16, 2018

Happily Stranded on an Island.


"Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness." -Frank Tyger

It's been a long time coming for this blog. I know it's been about five months without sharing some stories... but, I've been "adulting" and procrastinating on a whole other level. So, what has happened since the Olympics?

Well, I've been living happily stranded on an island. Well, I'm not exactly stranded; I just choose to use that term as I am satisfied with not having "convenient" access to mainland like I use to. If you search Jeju Island, you'll find that I'm living on that tiny speck of land, south of mainland Korea, completely surrounded by water. By bus, I can go 20 minutes north, water; 1 hour west, water; 1.25 hours east, water; 1.5 hours south and through the mountains, water. I'm surrounded by water.... the island life. It's known to be compared as the "Hawai'i of Korea."

Is it weird that I'm starting to see Korea as home? When I came back to Korea, I felt like I knew everything I needed to know and how to survive with about 22% of assistance. I'm more familiar with the way of life in Korea than I was before. Oh, btw... I've officially been to all 9 provinces of South Korea.

I'm still teaching, but at public schools. I work at 2 different schools and teacher about 230 students. I'm not even going to lie. Still to this day, at my main school I know 92% of my students names; at my second school, with more students, I know only 1% of their names. I know. I'm horrible. But trust and believe, I have built relationships with my students, some that love some Breanna Teacher. I do have my fair share of "days." For the most part, my students keep me entertained and aware of my purpose. Side note, my students are savages. Some of them are humbly, disrespectful.

     Top "Savage Student" moments:
  1. I was trying to explain something to a low-level student the best I could, and another student politely interrupted me and said, "Teacher, his IQ is not high. He does not understand anything." 😧
  2. I came to school one day with some eye-liner on (element of simplicity). While I'm teaching, I'm politely interrupted with "Excuse me Breanna Teacher. Is that eye make-up?" I respond with a confused head nod, like where is he going with this. "Teacher, no. It's not you." I had to redirect my attention.
  3. There's time allotted for students and staff to their brush their teeth after lunch. I'll admit, back in the U.S., I didn't brush my teeth after lunch time. I "didn't have time." I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and my students were brushing their teeth. I was telling them what they were doing in English. I walked out the bathroom, one of my fav 3rd graders follow me to ask (with gestures) if I was going to brush my teeth. I told her no, I didn't bring a toothbrush and toothpaste to school. She gave me that look like I just used the bathroom and walked out like I didn't wash my hands... (I carry a toothbrush and toothpaste all the time and brush my teeth after lunch at both schools).
  4.  My most unforgettable "savage" moment. I somewhat laugh now cause it's funny. So, at the beginning of the semester, I realized that I ride the bus with one of my students. He's a low-level student and barely understands anything I say to him. Every day when we get off the bus, he would try to get ahead of me to avoid talking with me. He would always "Okay! Okay!" me, to shut me up. I try to utilize this time with him to work on his English. Mind you every time he gets on the bus, I try to make contact and acknowledge him. Couple of weeks went on... one day, I was tired and needed to "close my eyes" for a moment. The bus ride is about 20 minutes to my school. I opened my eyes when my student got on the bus and did my eye contact. With about 7 stops to go, I "closed my eyes" for a quick second.  Woke up, didn't know where I was, didn't see my student; I panicked and hopped off the bus. Pulled out the GPS and realized I missed my stop by 1 stop. Let me tell you all, that boy watched me sleep and got off the bus not waking me up. Now I know you're probably thinking he didn't have to wake me up, because he didn't.  But the thing is, I was sitting right by the doors, he saw me as he got off the bus. I saw him in class later on that day. While he was avoiding eye contact with me, I wasn't avoiding asking him questions on the lesson. πŸ˜‡ Now, he waits for me to get off the bus and tries to have some conversations with me in the morning. πŸ˜„ 

Okay, enough about my job. Let's get to what I've been doing. Since, I have done a lot, I'm only sharing from March to May. (If you don't want to read about the adventures, just scroll for the pictures.)

March
Every year, Jeju puts on a fire festival to pray for good harvest and good health in the new year. Through all the horrible traffic and road blockage, Molly and I were able to make the event. It was still freezing outside, but it was interesting to see a huge mountain lit in flames.





 I had the brightest idea of walking 1 hour and 15 minutes to Iho Tewoo Beach but didn't realize the trek back wasn't the best idea. Molly didn't tear my head off about it; instead, she was a trooper. (Side-note: she doesn't want to walk anywhere else with me. 😞 Lolz.)




Okay, the walking statement isn't entirely true... Molly, James, Yunhye and I did the 10k Canola Festival Walk. We did a nice little walk around the other major city on the island, Seogwipo. We got lost following the wrong map😐, but we made our way to the crowd and enjoyed the amazing views along the way. After we finished, we got a little diploma for completion. 😌





April
April was a very chill month. Went to the Jeju United soccer game, checked out the Cherry Blossom Festival, hiked Sarabong Peak, visited Hamdeok Beach, and went to James and Yunhye's Traditional Korean wedding. I'm not going to lie, I kind of may a fool of myself at the wedding. (Glad no one got it on camera😁.) I'm sure you're wondering what happend... well, at traditional weddings I didn't know that chickens/roosters were tossed up in the air during the ceremony. I happened to be sitting in an isle seat. The guy with the rooster didn't look like a professional rooster tosser. So, when he tossed it, it look like it was heading towards me (I just imagined in my head a rooster attacking me😫) so I leaned over, (mind you, the chairs are on an uneven surface) and my chair tips over and I push Molly out her chair. See, Molly's about tired of me. The wedding was beautiful, and we really enjoyed ourselves.











May

Oh, a month full of headaches. One just doesn't understand. With a few times allowed for entertainment, I went to another soccer game with the peps, Cheonjeyeon Falls, I went on a field trip with my students, and I turned up with my people at the "Qruise with the Ques" event. I had a really good time!😎














As you can see, I'm doing just fine. There comes a time in our lives to where we just want to be in the moments and enjoy them fully. Next time. I'll bring you up to speed.  I'll have you caught up on my adventures and horrible mistake. Lolz.


Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment