Sunday, October 22, 2017

You Can Find Beauty in the Philippines πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­

"There's beauty behind what we may perceive as ugly. Don't be so quick to judge something you haven't gotten to know." -BLW

So in South Korea, there was a long holiday break, Chuseok 좔석 (Thanksgiving). For my “Thanksgiving” break, I traveled to the Philippines. I decided that I would remove myself from the “social world” and embark on an adventure, learning something about myself; reflecting on all the things I'm thankful for, as well as, realizing what I should be thankful for. My trip to the Philippines allowed me to appreciate the life God has blessed me with even more and to admire and protect His wonderful creations.

Before I begin, let me just say I'm starting to see pattern with me having "difficulties" at the airport. I thought I was going to make it into Manila without any issues. 🀦🏽 As an independent, female traveler, I always do some in-depth research before I make plans. I came across some information about the taxi scams, where some overcharge travelers for a ride. As I made my way outside the airport, I walked towards the metered-taxi queue. This guy with a badge (it looked “official” to me) across the street was telling me he had a taxi ready for me.πŸ€”πŸ€·πŸ½ After he filled out some forms, he told me the price, 3,850 php [about $70 USD] for a 30-minute drive. I went blank into confusion.😡 I left him and the driver there.πŸ˜’ With a metered taxi, it's supposed to cost about 470 php [about $10]. MAJOR DIFFERENCE! But, these metered taxi drivers can play you as well, turning the meter off and charging their own rate. My taxi driver played me...πŸ™„πŸ€¦πŸ½ I ended up paying 800 php [$16 USD]. He was a nice guy though, and I was content with paying that than the $70.... lesson learned. After that situation, let me just say I saw Uber in a whole new perspective. πŸ˜²πŸ‘Œ

Okay, now to my trip… (trip details)

Manila
First Impressions: During my Uber ride into Manila, I was not impressed. I was a little annoyed and confused by the chaotic traffic, trash all over, and there wasn't really anything appealing to my eyes. I figured it had to get real out in the streets when my Uber driver double checked to make sure the doors were locked as the "sellers on the street" passed by.πŸ‘€

During my "stroll" through the streets, my eyes were opened to the poverty in the city. The hustle for some change is real. I even walked by an area that was loaded with trash on one side, and on the other, were people washing their utensils and dishes.  Looking at the rivers and streams in the area, they were filthy and filled with trash. I gagged off the smell that slapped me in the face. But, do note that this isn't all of Manila. There are nice areas of the city that are clean and have a pleasant smell. They have to draw us foreigners in somehow.

I did a lot of walking during my first couple of days. I was so desperate to sit down at one point, I flagged a tricycle and hopped in, enjoying a little ride across town. I was dropped off in Quiapo Market and stumbled across a souvenir shop. After my time spent there, I decided that I completed my mission, so I was no longer thrilled to "see" anything else. I ended up walking 8.8km back to close out "my tour." 🚢 On this journey, I got lost in some (impoverished) neighborhoods; got looks from Filipinos like they KNOW I wasn't from there and I must have been lost.  But you know I have a demeanor like I know what/where I'm going.😎 I got to catch the sunset from the Baywalk. It wasn't that "WOW", jaw-dropping experience. The polluted waters and horrible odor killed that vibe.


I travel to countries to see and experience with my own eyes the reality. When I travel, I try not to have any expectations, because expectations can make or break the trip. During my Uber ride to the airport, I began to reflect on my time in Manila. I didn't have high expectations for Manila, but I thought that since it is the capital city, it would have something to offer. I can definitely say I was pushed out of my comfort zone, feeling completely uncomfortable at times. I didn't like seeing the streams and oceans polluted with trash, I didn't like seeing and smelling trash on the streets (areas not designated for trash), and I didn't like seeing people "living dirty"; seeing a brother give his younger siblings a "wash off" at a public fountain just hurts my heart.  Yes, there's poverty in every county, but it still isn't a pleasant site to see, anywhere. Through it all, it made me aware of the minute privileges God has blessed me with, and why I should be real appreciative of those privileges. 
Now if you plan to visit Manila, don't let my experience stop you. "Bad" areas can be avoided. As I mentioned before, I prefer to walk around and see the reality. Everyone's experience is different. Also, DO NOT think Manila is a representation of the Philippines, because it's not. 



 Puerto Princesa (Palawan)





First Impression: "OMG! I'm in a rainforest!" πŸ€— It seemed so pure and clean. My resort was in the middle of I don't know where, but the views were amazing. I arrived in the late afternoon, so I decided to stay in and relax. Did I mention how peaceful it was?πŸ€”πŸ™ƒ At night, the moon reflected on the ocean, and it was indescribable.


Two Days, Two Tours
For my time spent in Palawan, I wanted to be a tourist, relax, and enjoy it all. For my first tour, I climbed through Ugong Rock and flew (zip lined) to the bottom. After that, I was able to experience (what I did not know) one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature. It is unimaginable how mother nature works and the creations that are formed. During this tour, I met some wonderful Filipinos that made my trip and experience fun, entertaining, and well spent. They gave me tips on other islands to visit in the Philippines, as well as, trying other significant cultural food. πŸ—£"Let's take a picture!"πŸ“Έ-Jelly


 


The other tour was the Honda Bay Tour (island hopping). It was another day where I met some more amazing people, Filipinos and other foreigners on vacation. We enjoyed snorkeling together, taking pictures, and enjoying the beautiful weather and sea. There's nothing like meeting travelers and sharing stories together.

 
Living in paradise was amazing. Being surrounded by the beautiful nature and amazing scenery... I'll never forget those views. The Philippines isn’t a country I’d see myself living in, but it's definitely a country I'd run to when I need to escape "life." A lesson I learned, "there's beauty behind what we may perceived as ugly." Thank you, Philippines, for the lessons, the realness, the adventures, and the people that made my time THAT more amazing.

Until the next adventure... MABUHAY! ✌

*If you're on Instagram, follow my travel page bw.travels6.

Favorites from the Trip






No comments:

Post a Comment